Are we ready for the new school year? As students and teachers return to class, they face enormous challenges. From safety to achievement gaps to teacher shortages, and the ongoing pandemic impacts, there is no part of our education system that won’t be tested. Big challenges require bold thinking. We sit down with three leaders who know exactly what’s at stake to talk about how we can address these challenges.
- Dr. Joshua Garcia, Tacoma Public Schools Superintendent
- Brooke Brown, Washington State Teacher of the Year, 2021
- Pavan Venkatakrishnan, Student Representative for Washington State Board of Education
- Mónica Guzmán, Journalist and Author
About Civic Cocktail
Civic Cocktail connects elected and community leaders with the public for lively conversations about important issues facing our region. Whether you’re new to the Pacific Northwest, a self-described “civic nerd,” or looking to meet people engaged in their communities, your evening at this beloved program is sure to be friendly, fun, and fascinating. Civic Cocktail’s welcoming and conversational tone is inspired by our Dialogue Across Differences initiative. We hope you can join in person, where the conversation happens over tasty bites and festive libations, but you can still enjoy the experience wherever you are by watching virtually.
More Event Information
- This event is filmed for both livestream and recording.
- Program begins virtually at 6:30 pm
- There will be an approximately 15 minute break between the first and second segment.
- Attendees will be able to submit questions via their smartphones during the event.
About Seattle CityClub
Seattle CityClub is a 40-year-old nonpartisan, civics-focused nonprofit, providing a platform for insightful and educational conversations that include a diverse range of perspectives.
Crosscut.com is a nonprofit, publicly supported newsroom. It is part of Cascade Public Media, which also owns and operates KCTS 9, Seattle’s PBS station. Cascade Public Media serves the Pacific Northwest and its mission is to inspire a smarter world by committing to exceptional public television programming and local public interest journalism.
We will adhere to our venue’s current policies on Covid-19. Please check reminder emails for the latest updated requirements before attending in person.
In partnership with:
Kerry and Linda Killinger Foundation