Washington State ranks 46th in the nation for high school graduates who are enrolling in higher education, and we must ask ourselves why. What are the consequences of decreased enrollment in higher education? What can be done to address it? We will address these and other questions about educational equity in this Civic Cocktail with speakers in foundations, non-profits, and higher education institutions working to reverse this trend.
Panelists – Segment 1
- Angela Jones, Director, Washington State Initiative, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- James Dorsey, President and CEO, College Success Foundation
- Brian Jeffries, Policy Director, Washington Roundtable
Panelists – Segment 2
- Sheila Edwards Lange, Chancellor, UW Tacoma
- Lynne Varner, Associate Vice Chancellor, WSU Everett
- Rosie Rimando-Chareunsap, Interim Chancellor, Seattle Colleges
- Dahlia Bazzaz K-12 Reporter, Seattle Times
About Civic Cocktail
Civic Cocktail connects elected and community leaders with the public for lively conversations about important issues facing our region. Whether you’re new to the Pacific Northwest, a self-described “civic nerd,” or looking to meet people engaged in their communities, your evening at this beloved program is sure to be friendly, fun, and fascinating. Civic Cocktail’s welcoming and conversational tone is inspired by our Dialogue Across Differences initiative.
More Event Information
- The event will be held both in-person at The Collective and online (livestreamed).
- The formal program begins at 6:30 pm. Doors open at The Collective for in-person at 6:00 pm for networking and appetizers/drinks.
- There will be an approximately 15 minute break between the first and second segment.
- Attendees will be able to submit questions
Parking: The Collective is located less than a mile from I-5, on the corner of Harrison & Dexter. Street parking may be available and a parking garage (for paid parking) is located under The Collective via the alley off of Harrison.
Bus/transit routes nearby:
- The 62 bus line stops directly in front of the building and covered bike parking is available
- RapidRide C-line
- Route 320
- South Lake Union Trolley
About Seattle CityClub
Seattle CityClub is a 40-year-old nonpartisan, civics-focused nonprofit, providing a platform for insightful and educational conversations that include a diverse range of perspectives.